CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 6, 2008

What in the heck was that all about??!

Becky (my sister) gives me this grandiose idea about teaching Joe how to ride a two-wheeler. She says to take off the pedals and teach them how to coast. That way they learn their balance and only worry about one thing at a time. So I am feeling like it is time to get my daredevil-of-a- son-and-I-can't-believe-he's-not riding-one-yet-anyway kid on a two-wheeler. (Besides I am hoping that he will be faster.) So, of course, as all good teachers do -they teach by example. I position myself (on Joe's bike!) at the top of the driveway heading down to the street. (Side note: Between the driveway and the street is at least a 6 inch drop- I am still wondering WHY!!!) "Look Joe, like this!" My legs are out to the side and of course bent so as not to drag on the cement. As I begin to gain momentum I am thinking to myself that the bump off the driveway is really going to hurt my sitting down area (if you know what I mean!) so I start to brace myself for a little pain in that area. I am gritting my teeth and I am sure I was closing my eyes. But when I hit the bump the handlebars collapse inward and I go flying off the bike into the street landing on my right knee and side.
There were several thoughts that raced through my head as I am lying in the street in pain. 1) Who just witnessed that!!? 2) I don't have shoes on of course and Ted is going to laugh at me because he is ALWAYS telling me to wear shoes. (Grew up in AZ what can I say?) 3) How many times have I told my boys when they bite it to "Stand up and walk it off! Come on be tough!!" 4) Oooooooouuuuuuuuuuuccccccchhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Looking down the driveway to doom.


My poor knee that took the most abuse!


I have to tell you that my foot was a lot worse than it looks on the picture, plus you can't see all the bruising and swelling on my foot, my knee and the other leg!! I will be so much more sympathetic to the boys in the future- I promise!!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Way to go Julie- I didn't know you were still learning! ;)

Becky gave us that gem of advice as well and it worked like a charm for Nathanael this summer.

Happy healing!

The Eagar Boones said...

I am so glad that advice is being used because I still can't get my son to do it for more than 2 minutes at a time every month or so. so, what did joe think of that great idea!! did he even try it?

Angela said...

That is hilarious!! I wish I would have witnessed it! I would have tried very hard not to laugh!
How was the zoo?

KATE said...

Wow girl, I would have loved to be there to witness that! hee hee *okay sorry I'm not laughing at you, promise. Love you & hope you heal soon!!

KATE said...

Oh and your "sit down area" ha ha ha ha ~ that was hilarious all by itself!!

hee hee

Kate said...

You're hilarious, Julie. I feel sorry for your leg and foot. It does look swollen and painful!

BTW, we just taught Haley how to ride a bike (yes, finally!) using that method. It does work well, you just apparently need to keep your eyes open. :) So did Joe learn to do it?