CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 18, 2008

It's just a flesh wound!

I think that the news of the week will surprise some of you that it has not happened sooner! One of those crazy, rambunctious Smack boys finally broke a limb. It is fitting that it is the craziest one of them all.



We were at the park Monday night for friendly gathering and Joe fell from the monkey bars and broke his right radius bone nearing the wrist. It happened about 8:30 pm Monday and I knew that the only option was the ER (no offense Topher) since everything else was closed already. I didn't want to spend the night there for a minor break. Now before you go thinking I am mean and heartless you have to know there was an EMT there and he looked at it and could tell also that it was minor. So we took him home and Ted made a splint from a hunting magazine and duct tape (don't you love how red neck that sounds!!). We iced it and gave him some motrin and propped his arm up on a pillow. He moaned a little during the night but not too bad. We got up first thing the next morning and took him in. Sure enough after x-rays, they told us he had a distal radius fracture. The doctor called it a buckle fracture. Anyway, the bone hadn't moved at all. So they put a splint on it, iced it and gave him some Motirn. Ummm, sound familiar? And we were in and out of there in 1hour 20 minutes. Much less traumatic then 5 hours in an ER room going into the wee hours of the morning.


But as far as breaks go we got off really easy. It hasn't slowed him down at all. In fact, just Wednesday he threw a fit about not getting to go on the slip and slide at the neighbors. "But, Mom, I will put a plastic bag around my arm so it won't get wet! Please, Mom!" I had to explain to him that it was not about getting it wet it was about hurting it worse.

I take him in on Monday to see how it is doing, etc. If he has hurt it again, they will put a hard cast on him. I really like having the splint and ace bandage because then I can wash the one and wrap it with another. Much less stinky. So he better be careful!!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Way to go Joe! I fell off the monkey bars when I was six and broke my arm too. I feel like I am in good company.

KATE said...

Poor little guy! He's so stinkin cute though! What a tuff little man!

Chalice said...

Hey Julie! I was checking out Kate's Blog when I saw a link to yours. YEAH! I just started blogging myself...you'll have to check it out.

Poor Joe! I can't believe how curly his hair is...VERY CUTE!!

Emily said...

Joe, you are such a tough superhero kid!! Milk it for all the attention you can get! Love you guys!

KATE said...

Hey Girl ~ I just put up a fun TAG on my blog. Come over and play!