CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Grandpa's Overalls



After Grandpa passed away, I was able to get a pair of his overalls that he worked in every day. For those of you who don't know my grandpa you must know this about him. He always had on his striped Osh Kosh overalls, except at church. Those overalls sum up my memory of him. One time when he came to visit us in Yuma, for some reason he did not have any with him. This visit was a few years after his mission and he was on his way to visit his mission again at the Cibecue Indian Reservation. So the two of us went shopping in Yuma to find him some overalls. All we could find was some plain blue denim ones so he had to get them. He said later that when he went to the mission no one recognized him in the wrong color of overalls!!
I was able to get a pair of his overalls and I made a quilt out of them. I love how it turned out. Later I am going to add an embroidered square that says Grandpa's name on it. But for now it is filled with memories.


These two squares show that he was a dairy farmer.



The next two pictures show that I used every part of the overalls I could. They also show that they were infact overalls and not just any pair of pants.




This square shows a patch that Grandma put in with her tiny hand stitches. She matched the stripes and all!

4 comments:

The Eagar Boones said...

That is so neat. I am glad you did it.

The Nits said...

What a terrific keepsake, I hope to see it someday. -Sam

Lisa said...

I am so glad you got some overalls! I thought you asked Grandma for a pair and told her what you had in mind and then she didn't want to give them to you. Did that happen or did I dream it? Glad you got it done. I am jealous. If only I could make a dent in my to-do list!

Sam and Mary said...

We came across your blog--hope all is well. Such a treasure of Grandpa!